Tuesday 31 August 2010

Hidden treasures...

Settling in nicely and enjoying the beautiful weather that we have had for the last couple of days. Not sure it will last though... Anyhow, we have been busy. Or, more correctly, Mark has been busy. The orange coloured pine downstairs bathroom just had to go..


I'm sure it was a marvel to look at in the early seventies.....However, on removal of the pine we found..... the most amazing discovery.....a stone fire dating back to around the early 1700's, complete with an oak surround that dates a little later. There are also two cupboards to the right of the fire. I was so thrilled when we uncovered them. I can't believe that they were simply boxed in but then I am truly grateful that they hadn't just been ripped out... Will post up a photo of our hidden treasure next time. I wonder what else we will find in this amazing old house??

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Can't wait to see a picture of it. It might end up meaning you have to re-configure the rooms so you make best use of it. Or it could just be an amazing feature in the toilet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hadn't thought of it as a feature in the toilet but the idea made me laugh! I could site the toilet in the hearth and it would look like a throne! We have already altered our plans so that it is taken into consideration and I know that it will look beautiful when it's done. Will post pic soon.

    ReplyDelete